Our previous Beyond 30 Seconds workshop sold out in 24 hours of its release, so for those of you who missed it, here's a second chance!
Date: Saturday 1 September (Back up date in event of bad weather: Saturday 22 September)
Time: 4.30pm - 6.30pm
Cost: $99 inc GST
Instructor: Seng Mah
Location: Cottesloe Beach
Maximum participants: 10
Join us on a journey into the beauty of ultra-long exposures using strong neutral density filters and the Bulb mode on your digital SLR camera! Ultra-long exposures can be used to create beautifully evocative and moody images, by softening movement such as that found in clouds and water. Winter light is perfect for ultra-long exposures as it's often softer, more localised and more dramatic.
Many DSLRs have a limit to in-camera long exposures of only 30 seconds. In other words, the DSLR can only effectively meter for light up to 30 seconds. If you choose to shoot in Bulb mode to extend your exposures beyond 30 seconds, then there's a whole heap of calculations that can often boggle the mind and deter photographers from even attempting this technique.
Join Seng on a mini-workshop that will help you understand Bulb exposures and simplify for you the process of shooting ultra long exposures. We will be photographing one of Perth's most iconic coastal settings -- the beach at Cottesloe -- and using ultra-long exposures to create surreal landscapes of this well-known location.
NOTE: This workshop has been scheduled for Saturday 1 September 2018. If the weather on this date in inclement, a back-up date of 22 September has also been scheduled. Before booking into this workshop, make sure you are available for both dates.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED (ESSENTIAL)
- Your DSLR or mirrorless interchangeable lens camera.
- A lens that can cover a focal length range from 24mm - 120mm if you're using a full frame camera (16mm - 55mm on a 1.5 or 1.6x crop frame camera).
- A very strong ND filter (eg. ND1000 or ND1500), or a couple of strong ND filters (eg. ND1000 and ND64), which you can stack. Note that the ND filters must fit the lens/es you plan to use at this event.
- A sturdy tripod.
- Shutter release cable, or remote shutter release which lets you lock your shutter.
- Your smartphone with the PhotoPills app installed. The PhotoPills app is a very powerful app for landscape photographers and includes an easy to use long-exposure calculator. You can purchase and install PhotoPills from either the App Store (for iPhones) or Google Play (for smartphones running Android). Please note that it is essential for you to have a smartphone and PhotoPills installed on it if you would like to participate in this event.
- Filter/lens cleansers in the event of sea-spray.
- Clothing appropriate for weather on the day.
Places in this workshop are limited to only 10 participants, so don't miss out.
RESERVE YOUR PLACE
Booking for this mini-workshop are managed through Eventbrite. To book your place in this workshop, click the button below.