"Create dramatic, evocative portraits with low key lighting and creative editing!"
Date: Saturday 24 October 2020
Duration: 10.00am - 1.00pm
Instructor: Seng Mah
Location: Digidirect Cannington - 12 Cecil Avenue, Cannington
Maximum participants: 8
PROUDLY SUPPORTED BY DIGIDIRECT CANNINGTON
If you love creative portraiture, then here is something to tempt you to the "dark side".
This workshop is all about low key, dramatic lighting; making use chiaroscuro, the interplay of light and shadow, to create evocative, moody portraits. Then, learn to edit your portraits creatively by using textures and layer blending techniques in Adobe Photoshop. And, finally, print your work and see it come to life on paper!
This three-hour event will appeal to creative photographers who want to learn about using low key lighting for dramatic effect, and who would like to learn some of the key techniques in Photoshop to add textures and effects to their portraits.
There are three parts to this event:
- SHOOT: Working with our model, you will light and shoot your dramatic "dark portrait". This section looks at setting up and using low key lighting, particularly in the use of lighting modifiers and "feathering" the light.
- CREATE: We then load our images into Lightroom and begin the editing process, moving between Lightroom and Photoshop, learning to use Layers, Layer Modes and Layer Masks in Photoshop to blend textures into our image.
- PRINT: Once we have finished working on our portrait, we will print the image (up to A3 size) to see it come to life in the physical realm!
Your ticket for this event includes the print of your final image from this workshop.
This workshop is limited to only 6 participating photographers, so make sure you don't miss out!
WHAT TO BRING (ESSENTIAL)
- Your interchangeable lens camera (DSLR or mirrorless) with memory card/s and batteries (always bring a fully charged spare).
- Lens/es in the 50mm - 200mm range. Lenses with wide apertures (f/2.8, f/1.8) will be advantageous.
- Some props if you'd like our models to pose with your prop ideas. We recommend props that will work well in both a heritage and modern city setting.
- Your laptop with both Lightroom Classic and Adobe Photoshop Installed. We recommend that you use the most recent versions of Lightroom Classic (9.4) and Adobe Photoshop (21.2.2)
- A mouse or similar device (we do not recommend using the trackpad on your laptop for editing).
RESERVE YOUR PLACE
Bookings for this mini-workshop are managed through Eventbrite. To book your place in this workshop, click the button below.