Take to the streets of Freo and learn to see and shoot the world in black and white!
Level: Beginners – Intermediate
Date: Sunday 15 December 2019
Duration: 3pm – 5pm
Instructors: Seng Mah
Location: West End Fremantle
Maximum participants: 15
Shooting black and white takes the distraction of colour out of your image-making and gets you to focus purely on observing light and tones, and to work your images using these two very simple, yet powerful, photographic observations.
Join Seng Mah for a journey into the black and white heart of Fremantle. In this hands-on, location-based workshop, you will learn:
- How to set up your camera to shoot and show only black and white imagery.
- The “sunny 16” rule that will help create strong, high-contrast images in full sunlight.
- Pre-focusing using back-button focus (requires your camera to have back-button focus control).
- Pre-focusing using manual focus (if your camera doesn’t have back-button focus control).
- Observing and noting light in the urban landscape.
- Setting up and shooting for high-contrast lighting.
- Compositional techniques when shooting in high-contrast or isolated lighting.
- Finding and using incidental light on location.
As you can see, we have lots to cover and learn in this terrific street photography event!
What you will need
- Good walking shoes, a hat, bottle of water, sunscreen.
- An interchangeable lens camera (DSLR or mirrorless).
- Lens that will cover focal length ranges in the 24-70mm range (for full frame cameras); crop frame cameras would be in the 16-55mm range, with micro four third cameras (Olympus and Panasonic) in the 12-40mm range. You can also bring prime lenses or a telephoto zoom if you want to, but we will mainly focus on the wide angle zooms.
- A small notebook and pen if you’d like to jot down notes at the start of this workshop.
* You don’t need a tripod for this workshop.
This workshop is limited to only 15 participants. You will need to have a reasonable level of fitness as we will be walking fairly extensively around the West End and Harbour of Fremantle.
RESERVE YOUR PLACE
Bookings for this mini-workshop are managed through Eventbrite. To book your place in this workshop, click the button below.