"Learn to photograph and create beautiful landscapes!"
Instructors: Brian Kinson and Seng Mah
Level: Beginner - Intermediate
Duration: 12.30pm - 6.30pm
Date: 30 March 2019 (Saturday)
Location: Team Digital, 5 Coolgardie Terrace, East Perth & North Beach sunset shoot
Maximum participants: 12
Proudly supported by Team Digital
The key to creating a visually compelling landscape lies in your ability to understand and utilise light and composition to draw your viewer's eyes into the scene. In this informative and practical workshop, you will learn how to craft your landscape photographs using the essential techniques of landscape photography; but more than this, you will also learn the importance of crafting your landscape image in-camera by paying particular attention to light and the way in which you frame and compose the scene.
Your guides in landscape photography, Brian and Seng, will show you how to refine your vision when it comes to looking at landscapes, and to be able to hone in on important elements in landscapes that will empower your imagery. Brian and Seng have traveled the world photographing landscapes (New Zealand, Iceland, Italy, Greece, India, Indonesia, the Himalayas, Africa and Scotland to name a few), and will inspire you with their ideas, tips and suggestions.
Your lesson in landscape photography begins with an interactive series of presentations which will get you thinking and seeing like a landscape photographer -- giving you the skills to recognise the impact of different kinds of light, the ability to use landscape photography tools such as filters and tripods, the best practice settings for landscape photography and techniques to ensure that your images are pin-sharp.
But it's not all theory, as you will gain experience in real-world landscape photography under the tutelage of Brian and Seng, as you shoot in the field at North Beach, using the full range of landscape photography equipment at your disposal. You'll gain practical knowledge but also learn useful tips that will help you create better, stronger compositions!
This workshop includes both theory and practical components, including an engaging and inspiring series of presentations, followed by hands-on landscape photography during the "Golden Hour" and into sunset and dusk.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
- Essential equipment for landscape photography.
- The best lenses for landscape photography.
- Using neutral density (ND) filters and circular polarising filters -- when and how to best use them.
- The types of lighting in landscapes and how best to use them.
- Fool-proof composition techniques in landscape photography that will make your images stand out.
- Crafting long exposures using Neutral Density filters... creating magic with motion!
- Controlling exposure in landscape photography -- going fully manual.
- Using your histogram to get the perfect exposure for your landscapes.
- Bracketing exposures -- how to do it, why you need to do it.
- Achieving precise focus in landscape photography.
- Achieving deep depth of field in landscape photography.
- Exposure blending and high dynamic range photography.
- Focus stacking for in-depth sharpness.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- A DSLR or mirrorless camera that allows you to shoot in full Manual Exposure mode.
- A range of lenses from wide angle lenses (eg. 10-20mm, 16-35mm) to mid-range telephoto lenses (eg. 24-105mm, 70-200mm).
- A stable tripod that will let you adjust the position of the camera on the tripod quickly and easily.
- To get the most out of the practical segment of this workshop, you'll need two types of neutral density (ND) filters for your lens of choice.
- A 5 stop (ND32) Neutral Density Filter.
- A 10 stop (ND1000) Neutral Density Filter
- A circular polariser (optional)
- A remote shutter release (we recommend a simple cable release).
- Microfibre cloth and lens cleanser (we will be shooting close to the ocean so there may be some sea spray in the air)
The practical segment of this workshop will be run at a coastal location, so please dress accordingly for the weather (light, loose clothing, sunscreen, hat, shoes with good grip).
RESERVE YOUR PLACE
Bookings for this workshop are managed through Eventbrite. To book your place in this workshop, click the button below.